Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Florida Keys

On Saturday I flew into the Miami Airport. I took a taxi to the rental car place and rented a car. With my new car we started the drive to Bahia Honda State Park. On the way there I stopped at Alabama Jack's for Lunch. They have pretty good food and the conch fritters are really good. In Marathon I went to Publix grocery store and bought food for the coming week. I also bought a key lime pie that I ate part of for dinner. In Bahia Honda there are six cabins you can stay in. You have to reserve these cabins 11 months in advance. There is however a trick for getting a cabin. You can't order a cabin more than 11 months in advance, so order your cabin 12 months in advance for the month before you're going. 11 months and 1 day before you're going change you're order to when you actually want to go. If you already reserve a cabin you get a 1 day head start to change you're order. The next day (Sunday) I went the beach in the morning. For lunch I made a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. That night I went to Chiki Tiki for dinner, but it's outside and it was so windy I had to leave and went to Castaways. Castaways strays slightly from the classic Keys fish sandwiches and also serve pasta, steaks, and sushi. The next day  I stayed at the cabin fairly late until I went to the Keys Fisheries for Lunch. The food there was good but it was so windy everything was blowing everywhere so I wouldn't go there on a  windy day. After lunch I went to Crane Point nature center. Crane point is a large trail through the former property of the Crane family (they started a stationary company). At low tide I walked down the beach and saw lots of sea life like conchs and sea urchins. That night I had pasta and shrimp that was cooked on the barbecue at the cabin. I bought the ingredients at Publix and it was all very good.  On Tuesday I returned to the beach at high tide. For dinner I went to the Butterfly Cafe. Butterfly was the fanciest restaurant I went and definitely one of the best. The next day I went snorkeling in Key Looe and saw multiple barracudas lots of little fish and a moray eel. After the snorkeling I drove down to Key West. I had lunch at the Hogfish Grill on Stock Island, which is famous for being hard to find. I had hogfish fingers then a hogfish sandwich and I thought their hogfish was pretty good. I checked into the Hyatt (it was nice but I was only there for 1 night so I don't really know) then started walking around Key West. I stumbled upon a art studio/museum called Studios at Key West. There were a few cool sculptures and photographs but I think the best part of the studios is a little machine called an art-o-matic. It was kind of like a vending machine but gave you art instead of candy/soda. At sunset I went to Mallory Square to watch the sunset, which supposedly is the best sunset in the world. After the sunset I went to dinner at the Flaming Buoy. The food there was good but nothing super special. On Thursday I went to the Audubon House which was interesting and had cool drawings of birds on the wall throughout the house. After the Audubon House I went to the Truman Little White House, which was very interesting. The whole house looked like it was taken out of the 40s. Next we went to the Hemingway house which was really good. The yard was really cool  and it was great to see all the six toed cats. For lunch I went to the Blue Heaven. They have good food and the whole place is filled with rosters. After lunch we went to the key west aquarium. They have lots of sea turtles and sharks there. Next we drove down to the southern most point in the continental US. I got my picture taken by the giant buoy then drove to Louie's Backyard. Louie's Backyard is a restaurant that is very famous in the keys. I went up to the top floor and got small plates and drinks. They had very good food. After dinner I drove back to Bahia Honda. The next day I went to the turtle hospital. It's really cool to see all of the injured turtles they have. Later in the day I went on a kayak tour with Kayak Adventure Tours. The guide was really good so I saw lots of things. That night I went to Winn-Dixie and bought ingredients to make pasta and shrimp again. After the shrimp was cooked I realized the shrimps were not skinned even though the store said they would be. After I skinned them and tasted them I realized they weren't nearly as good as Publix's. On Saturday I went to the beach. After the beach I stayed at the cabin until I left for dinner. For dinner that night I went back to the Chiki Tiki and actually ate there. The food was good but not amazing. The next day I went back to the beach at low tide but the tide wasn't nearly as low as it was last time. For lunch I went to the 7 mile grill. The food there was pretty good. After lunch I went on a Pigeon Key tour. The tour guide was really good and knew a lot about Florida History. For dinner I went to Lazy Days. The place was really really big so it was a little overwhelming but the food was really good which more than evens it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment